Skip to main content

Living in a heritage building

I have recently been exploring people's strategies for inhabiting Art Deco apartments, looking into their approaches to furnishings and furniture, and any adaptations that they may have made to their spaces to suit a modern lifestyle. The recurring theme in their responses was whether to attempt to decorate in a style that matched that of the exterior of the building, or whether to use a more modern approach. Their principal concerns were around cost and availability of contemporary pieces of furniture, but this leads on to a deeper question of aesthetics and authenticity.

An Art Deco lounge
(creative commons licensed: 
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Havana_Art_Deco_%288963955085%29.jpg#/media/File:Havana_Art_Deco_(8963955085).jpg)


The photo above is an extreme attempt to create an entire environment in keeping with the early 1930s, including the floor and wall surfaces. The "Lucky Strike" branded ashtray introduces a humorous touch which relieves it from being too self-conscious. This said, it is difficult to picture this environment when filled with the normal stuff of life - coffee cups, TV set and the like. It is difficult to keep up the lifestyle when we use this "museum" approach, which suggests that we need to explore alternatives.

One approach is to look for timeless pieces of furniture, simple designs that use authentic materials and include one or two focal pieces that speak to the period of the historic building. This allows us to blend the old with the new, and creates continuity with our appliances and electronics. 

It is also important for us to "read" our building: what were the design intentions at the time, and what would have been the decisions of its original inhabitants. An example of this is the building in which I worked for many years: it was constructed in the early 1940s in the style of the Modern Movement. We needed to refurbish the toilets and replace the plumbing fittings and accessories, but this led to a debate on whether to aim for something that looked "old" or whether to go for the simplest and most streamlined design, as would have been the choice of the original architect.

An inappropriate retro tap design for a modernist setting
(creative commons licensed: https://get.pxhere.com/photo/hand-water-vintage-metal-wash-nostalgia-material-bathroom-jewellery-gold-faucet-earrings-organ-shiny-valve-fittings-body-care-sanitary-country-house-style-bathroom-sink-bathroom-sink-faucet-fashion-accessory-hot-water-connection-wet-areas-802562.jpg)

The original use of the building is also a clue as to the most effective way to furnish and decorate the spaces: a modest cottage in a conservation area deserves unpretentious pieces, whether contemporary or modern. An "authentic" period piece may have the "correct" date, but lacks authenticity when placed in an unsuitable environment. Here, scale is an important factor, whether designing for a cottage, or in a 1930s space which has much higher ceilings and larger rooms than one would find in a new-build. 

Where the space is very generous, a way to make pieces feel less disjointed is to link them thematically, using colour, materials or texture. In my apartment in an Art Deco building, I had some bespoke cupboards and bookcases made, finished in a dark-stained wood. I acquired some other furniture which I stained in the same tones, creating visual continuity which I linked thematically in many of the new picture frames. This was offset by a couple of items which I had inherited, not specifically Art Deco, but in a timeless design that was in keeping with the overall "feel". I also used the same material to reupholster the couch, dining chairs and piano stool, even though these were in different rooms, to give a spatial continuity throughout the whole apartment. This was also offset by the introduction of accents, using hand-embroidered cushions and indoor vegetation.

A bespoke cupboard and bookcase with an older wooden box and CD case

In the end, it is important to reflect your own lifestyle in your choice of furniture and furnishing, using pieces that have meaning and functionality for you. It is difficult to sustain a lifestyle that requires your space to look like a museum at all times. While it is great to have a few period pieces or even antiques that speak to the era of your historic building, these are shown to best effect in an environment that allows them to stand out, so when in doubt, I always aim for simplicity in the non-historic elements and furnishings.


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Useful and beautiful

  Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful. (William Morris) Morris was born in 1834 and lived through one of the most profound changes in design and manufacture of everyday objects, brought about through the industrial revolution. His rejection of the over-elaborate designs of this first generation of industrial design is seen in his passion for hand-crafted work, something of a luxury in his own day, but even more so now. The question is whether we can still uphold his philosophy, but capitalising on the wide array of industrially produced goods that are now available. Wallpaper design by William Morris We live in an era of overwhelming choice, ranging from the most tawdry or over-elaborate to extremely beautiful pieces, the latter often very reasonably priced. I find my own taste will be met either by the cheapest or the most expensive item on offer, perhaps an indication of my Modern Movement upbringing! So what should we be looki...

Welcome to my blog

Sitting outside the Wits Architecture Building My name is Anne. I have just retired from the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, South Africa where I was an Associate Professor in the School of Civil and Environmental Engineering, working in the environmental engineering and project management domain. Prior to that, I was a lecturer in the School of Architecture and Planning, teaching many aspects of architecture, including architectural history, design and skills in graphics. Before lecturing at the University, I worked briefly in local government as a junior architect and then in a commercial firm of architects. After this I ran a private architectural practice with a focus on architectural heritage design. I have qualifications in architecture, construction management and employment creation through construction. Now that I have retired, I want to continue to provide educational context about architecture, engineering, design and project management in a different forum ...

Pergolas

  While packing to move house, my daughter found some sketches that I had done several years ago for a pergola outside her living room. The room has full-height glazing across the entire width of the east-facing room, making the whole flat very hot in summer. Pergolas are an excellent way of adapting your indoor temperature, especially if you use deciduous plants to cover them, providing shade to the window in summer and letting the winter sun into the room when the plants lose their leaves. They are one of the most cost-effective and environmentally sensitive ways to adapt indoor climate, on any sun-facing side of your home. In the southern hemisphere, pergolas or awnings can be quite narrow on the north side of the building - the sun angle at mid-day is about 70 degrees on the equinoxes, so the depth of the pergola should be about half the height of the window or glazed door so that the sun is not blocked through the winter.  The angle of the sun in summer, winter and at the...